- menstruate for 30 years (according to the Women’s Environmental Network)
- using around 11,000 disposable products over that period,
- at a cost of between £500 - £2,500 depending on the type of product and your flow (spending on pads work out higher than tampons)
Whereas menstrual cups last 10-15 years so over 30 years the average woman will
- only use 2-3 menstrual cups
- at a cost of <£40 - £60
For washable pads, which last around 5 years, over 30 years that will be
- 6 sets of 6-12 pads so around 36-72 pads depending on flow
- at a cost of between £360 - £720
The environmental impact of 30 years of menstruation is about 200kg of used pads, tampons and packaging waste per woman.
The impact of washable pads is less than 1% of that, and for menstrual cups it’s a minuscule 0.02% of the environmental impact of disposable period products.
So what are you still waiting for? Buy your menstrual cup now and start saving!